Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hunger Games; Movie or Book?

Author's Note: This is my District Assessment for the 4th quarter and it is written to improve my score in body paragraphs, Figurative language, and Conclusions.

Over Spring Break, I went and saw The Hunger Games movie because I am loving the series so far. There were many things I liked such as the idea to make an awesome novel into a movie. Also, I did not like a couple things such as the movie makers leaving out Peeta's amputated leg and many events of the actual Games. Comparing the two,the book was my favorite over the movie because of many reasons.

Currently I am on the third book and I think the series is awesome and I don't want it to end. First of all, you need to read book to see the movie. I think this because the movie's transitions are hard to follow if you don't know what is happening from the book. I was even a little confused when watching the movie myself. Next, the moviemakers included most of the important events like Peeta's leg, Rue's death, and Haymitch's drunkenness. Finally the book had way more detail and it was easier to follow because it allowed you to go back and re-read something if you did not understand it.

Although the movie was good, the books were more sophisticated because there is just something about holding a book and feeling like you are becoming a part of it. Like I said before, you absolutely need to read the book before the movie. This is because the events just happen with no warning and it is still a little but hard to follow. Another difference between the two is the fact that (in most movies) the makers of the movie add in scenes of things happening. What I mean is, for example, in the book Seneca Crane was hung and you just caught a few hints that that happened, but in the movie he was locked in a room with the nightlock berries and you experienced it first hand. I envision the books were better because they allowed you to visualize the events while you read while in the movie. If you don't know what event is supposed to be happening, you will be lost.

Moving on, they are similar in more ways than different. Obviously the characters are the same and they act the same, but there is more to a story than just the characters. There is a place where events occur (plot), a climax and most of the time a solution. I say most of the time because in The Hunger Games, there is no solution in the end of the first book. If there is and I am just missing it, it just becomes a new problem later on. Another similarity is the events of the Games. What happens before the games and after the games is the same in book and movie. For example, Peeta and Katniss' big meal with Effie and Cinna, then later on Katniss' conversation with Cinna. I found that the movie had great actors that could actually be the original character from the book if the events actually existed.

To me, this essay is important because I feel it can persuade people to see why I think the novel is better than the movie in most cases but in particularly The Hunger Games. Despite the similarities and differences of the two, the series has become one of my favorites and the movie has moved up into my all-time favorites. On my opinion the movie could be better, but never as good as the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment